In the last few years, onyx, a beautiful natural stone, has become more often used as a type of countertop material. Onyx, which is renowned for its opulent look and distinctive streaking designs, can provide a compelling feature point in any area. Its viability as a countertop product, nonetheless, is dependent on a number of variables, notably its properties, upkeep needs, and intended usage.
Table of Contents
Is Onyx good for a countertop?
Some reasons that determine the suitability of Onyx countertops near Randolph, NJ include the following:
- Looks: Onyx has a transparent characteristic that makes it stand out from other stones and gives off a mesmerizing shine. The material comes in a variety of hues, including white, cream, and various green and brown tones as well as intense reds. Its beauty and attractiveness are enhanced by the elaborate and frequently spectacular streaking patterns.
- Aesthetics: Onyx worktops are recognized by their striking appearance and the wealthy feel they impart to any space. Because of its distinctive look, natural stone is a preferred material for prominent fixtures like island tops and washroom cabinets, wherever its aesthetic can be appreciated.
- Longevity: Onyx is undoubtedly beautiful, but it’s vital to keep in mind that it is gentler than other stone materials including granite or quartz. As a result, onyx countertops may be more prone to corrosive material etching, cracking, and abrasion. Onyx might not be the ideal material for high-traffic locations that see regular usage or encounter possible risks.
- Upkeep To prolong the life of onyx counters, proper upkeep is necessary. Because the substance is permeable, improper sealing may cause stains to appear. To shield the outer layer from spillage and staining, periodic sealant coating is advised. Furthermore, utilizing coasters, trivets, and cutting tables can assist avoid dings and scuffs. To protect the fragile top of the stone, it’s crucial to disinfect onyx worktops with mild, pH-neutral cleaners.
- Utilization: Onyx worktops work best in places with little activity and exposure to dangers. They may be beautiful upgrades to restrooms, bar tops or mantle borders wherein their distinctive design can be displayed without suffering from the same abrasion as kitchen surfaces.
Onyx countertop price
The cost for purchase and installation of Onyx countertops near Randolph, NJ can vary by a lot of dollars based on a number of variables. When contrasted with other countertop materials, onyx is more expensive since it is an unique and coveted material. The layer thickness of the block, the overall dimension of the work surface required, and the craftsmanship and individuality of the pattern and color all have an impact on the cost.
Onyx worktops typically cost between $100 and $300 per square foot of space. Yet, the cost might go substantially higher in more expensive and exotic kinds of onyx with fine streaking and uncommon colors. Bear in mind that the expenses associated with manufacturing and assembly contribute to the total value.
In order to obtain a more precise value for the project you are working on, it’s crucial to acquire quotations from trustworthy stone vendors and manufacturers. When planning the price to purchase an onyx countertop, take into account the decorative effect and rich atmosphere it may add to your room. Remember that onyx could be an excellent investment for individuals who respect its peculiar elegance despite the fact that its initial expense may be greater.
What are the disadvantages of onyx stone?
Onyx stone is admired for its jaw-dropping appeal and distinctive veining, but it also has a few drawbacks that need to be taken into account before using it for things like worktops, floor coverings, or ornamental items.
- Porous Nature: Onyx is a permeable material, which indicates that if it has not been sealed correctly, it may soak up fluids and grease and get stained. This renders it more susceptible to harm from acidic substances, such as those present in spirits, cider vinegar, and citruses. Onyx tends to be less enduring compared to different materials like marble or stone due to its porous nature. In locations with significant congestion, it is more susceptible to damage, chips, and cracks.
- Regular Upkeep: Onyx is permeable, therefore frequent cleaning is necessary in order to keep it appearing beautiful. To avoid stains and preserve lifespan, regular sealing is necessary. In the absence of adequate maintenance, the coating may over time get discolored or lose its shine.
- Restricted Utilization: Onyx is not suggested for spots with high usage, such as kitchen counters where food preparation and cutting take place often. It is more appropriate for ornamental items, vanity tops and wall decorations wherein its gorgeous designs may be displayed without a significant risk or harm.
- Expense: Because of its scarcity and the difficult mining and manufacturing processes, Onyx countertops near Randolph, NJ are costly. In comparison with numerous other types of stone, its price per square foot is greater, and because of its delicate nature, the process of setting it up may require more labor.
- Fragility: When contrasted to tougher stones such as granite or quartz, onyx is a fragile rock. It has to be handled carefully throughout installations and everyday usage to minimize harm because it is more prone to chipping or cracking.
- Fixed Color Selection: Onyx’s distinctive streaking separates it from other stones, but it additionally indicates that the choice of colors and designs is less. For individuals looking for particular colors or structures, this can reduce their design alternatives.
- Sensitivity to Light: Onyx is noted for being translucent and may be brightened to produce an eye-catching visual impact. Long-term contact with intense sunshine, nevertheless, may have an impact on the color and result in deterioration.
Do Onyx countertops scratch easily?
In contrast with alternative stone materials like granite or quartz, onyx worktops are particularly susceptible to scratches.Onyx countertops near Randolph, NJ are considered a more gentle and more fragile material, and one of the major downsides of utilizing it for worktops is that it is prone to scratching.
Onyx naturally has a smoother surface than other kinds of stones because of its intrinsic makeup. Using the Mohs scale, which assesses the comparative toughness of substances, it has a lesser toughness rating. According to the Mohs scale, onyx normally ranges from 3 to 7, while granite, for example, is from 6 and 7, and quartz, around 7.
Onyx is gentler than other stones, making it more vulnerable to scratches from harsh objects like blades, cookware, as well as aggressive cleaning wipes. On the outer layer of the onyx countertop, even frequent usage of dishes and kitchenware can create traces that are evident.
Follow some of these safety measures to lessen the danger of scratching:
- Chopping Boards: Whenever using a knife or similar sharp tools on your countertop, always utilize chopping boards. These prolong the usefulness of the blades in addition to safeguarding the onyx surfaces.
- Stay away from putting hot cookware straight onto the counter by using triangles and heat mats. To avoid damage caused by heat and possible scuffing this is a necessary step.
- Cautious Maintenance: To prevent scratching, refrain from washing the work surface with harsh or strong chemicals. Choose the cleaning that the maker recommends or mild soap and water.
- Consistently coat the onyx countertops to lessen its permeability and increase its durability against scratches and stains. By forming a layer of protection, sealant coating can lessen the chance that scratching will penetrate the material.
- Utilize delicate towels or harmless wiping products to clean and wipe down the work surface to reduce the possibility of scratching.
Onyx counters are sensitive, therefore it is crucial to keep in mind that even after careful usage and upkeep, they might eventually have blemishes. If onyx is something you are thinking about using as a countertop, it’s important to weigh its visual appeal against the knowledge that it needs additional attention and measures to retain its original appeal and avert harm.
Which is better onyx or quartz?
Depending on your tastes and the particular requirements of the job, you should decide between onyx and quartz. In comparison to Onyx countertops near Randolph, NJ, quartz is typically seen as a more efficient and long-lasting material for countertops.
Quartz: Resin and genuine quartz grains are used to create quartz worktops. They are an easy to maintain option for areas with frequent usage like kitchens because of their outstanding resilience and tolerance to heat, staining, and scratching. Quartz countertops come in a variety of hues and designs and do not have to be sealed as genuine stones do. Additionally, they’re less susceptible to breaking or flaking.
Onyx: The gorgeous natural stone onyx is renowned for its transparent look and distinctive patterns. It is frequently utilized as aesthetic embellishments and in places that see little use, like cabinet surfaces in bathrooms. Onyx, nevertheless, tends to be more fragile and smoother than quartz, which makes it more prone to deterioration from heat, stains, and scratches. It needs additional upkeep and attention, including routine caulking to save its outermost layer.
Onyx Countertops sales near Randolph, NJ
Onyx Countertops Installation
For all your countertop inquiries and projects, connect with us at Randolph Marble and Granite. Our brilliant range of options has something for everyone, whether you want Onyx, or something else.
Experience the luxury of Onyx Countertops in Randolph, NJ. Elevate your home’s aesthetic with our expert installation services.
Contact us now for a FREE estimate and take the first step towards sophistication.