Travertine countertops pros and cons
You should opt for travertine countertops and give your kitchen a bright and glossy look. Travertine is a highly reflective material that works well as a countertop, especially in your kitchen. When you install it on the kitchen island or in the work area, it can completely change the look and feel of the room. If you plan to remodel your kitchen and install a travertine countertop, here are the pros and cons that you need to know.
Table of Contents
Is travertine a good countertop?
When remodeling your kitchen, the first thing you need to change is the countertop. You must select a suitable, long-lasting material that is easy to maintain. Travertine is a suitable material because it is resistant to damage. Some of the other reasons are as follows:
- It is a versatile material: The first thing you must consider while selecting a suitable material for countertops is evaluating whether it is versatile. It should be easy to cut and install. You will find that travertine is precisely so. It is a type of sedimentary limestone. This makes it easier for manufacturers to cut the rock and give it the shape and size of the countertop of your kitchen. According to manufacturers of travertine countertops near Randolph, NJ, another feature that adds to the versatility of travertine is that it is available in various colors. Travertine countertops are available in cream, beige, ivory, gold, silver, coral, walnut, and several shades of brown. Thus, depending on the color scheme of your kitchen, you can select a suitable color for your travertine countertop.
- It is a highly reflective surface: When you install a countertop in your kitchen, you want it to brighten up the space. Hence, you need a reflective material; travertine is just the material. It reflects light much better than common countertop materials, instantly brightening your kitchen. If you install a travertine countertop on your kitchen island and a hanging light above it, you will find that it will brighten the entire kitchen and not just the area around the island. This is because travertine is a highly reflective surface, and it will reflect the light from the lamp above across the kitchen.
- Easy to install: When it comes to travertine countertops installation, you will find that you can do it quickly because it is lighter than other countertop materials, such as granite and marble. You will find that when you remodel your kitchen, you can seal the travertine countertop on the base material easily compared to others. The experts can easily lift and install the countertop on the kitchen island or the work area. After that, you must seal the travertine countertop to the base.
Thus, travertine is a favored kitchen countertop material among interior designers and companies providing kitchen fabrication services as these are durable and easy to install. All you need to do is reseal the countertops after five to six years which are as good as new. Moreover, these countertops are easy to maintain, and you do not have to worry about the surface getting scratched easily.
Do travertine countertops stain?
When you install a countertop in your kitchen, your primary concern will be whether it is stain-proof. First, you need to understand that no material is stain-proof. All materials have a certain porosity level, and as the liquids get absorbed through the surface, these tend to stain the countertop. Thus, even travertine countertops will tarnish over time, especially if you leave the liquid on the surface longer.
In the kitchen, liquid spills are standard. If you and your family have the habit of eating on the kitchen island, you will undoubtedly spill liquids such as water and drinks on the countertop. Similarly, in the work area, liquid spills such as gravies and sauces can quickly get spilt on the countertop, irrespective of how careful you are to avoid such an accident.
In such a scenario, you must immediately clean the spill and remove the liquid from the countertop. The longer the liquid stays on the countertop, the higher the chance it gets absorbed through the surface.
Only when the liquid gets absorbed through the countertop’s surface is a chance of the stain appearing on the countertop. However, if you compare travertine to other countertop materials, such as wood or laminates, you will find that it stains much less. Wooden laminates and wooden countertops can stain quickly and retain the stain even if you wipe down the surface. However, a travertine countertop will not have any sign of a liquid dye if you quickly wipe the surface clean and remove any trace of the liquid.
Does vinegar damage travertine?
As travertine is a form of terrestrial limestone, you should keep it away from acidic substances such as lemon juice and vinegar. If you want to clean the surface of your travertine kitchen countertop, it is best that you use a non-acidic medium. Vinegar is acidic and can permanently damage a travertine countertop. According to manufacturers of travertine countertops near Randolph, NJ, one of the easiest ways to clean a travertine countertop would be to use mild organic soap or a wet washcloth. The travertine countertop is easy to clean, and you do not need to use any harsh or acidic chemicals like vinegar to clean it. You will find that using vinegar can permanently damage the travertine countertop and even cause permanent discoloration of the slab. So yes, vinegar can damage the travertine countertop.
Can you put a hot pan on the travertine?
Travertine is quite durable and considered to be heat-resistant. You will find that travertine slabs are not damaged even with a sudden temperature change. So even if you set a hot pot on a travertine countertop in your kitchen, it will not damage the surface. However, if you want the reflective surface to remain as good as new for a more extended period, it is best that you avoid doing it.
High heat is known to damage even the most heat-resistant materials. You will find that the countertop does not get damaged, or it will not get cracked because of the hot pan. But the reflective nature of the surface decreases because of the heat over time. Hence, if you want to retain the originality and beauty of the travertine countertop, then use a coaster to buffer the heat. This way, the countertop will maintain its timeless appearance for longer.
Why should you use travertine as a countertop material in your kitchen?
Travertine is one of the few countertop materials that can give your kitchen an instant makeover. Compared to other kitchen countertop materials, that is much cheaper as you can avail of some slabs for $65 per square foot. This makes it easier for you to stay within a budget even when changing the countertops in your kitchen island and workspace.
All you need to evaluate is labor charges for the travertine countertops installation. For that, you need to discuss with experts who offer kitchen fabrication services. Other than being a material that is suitable for all budgets, travertine is a perfect material for kitchen countertops for the following reasons:
- As a homeowner, you will always need a kitchen countertop that is easy to clean. Travertine is one such material. It has a highly reflective surface, so cleaning it is pretty straightforward. You only need to clean it with a washcloth and mild soap. Once you wipe it clean the countertop will be as good as new.
- You must avoid using chemicals and abrasive materials to clean the countertop, which can damage the travertine. Thus, maintaining a travertine countertop is much easier than other countertop materials, which tend to get damaged easily.
- Travertine is a highly durable material and does not break easily. This is why it is effectively used in high-traffic areas such as kitchen and bathroom countertops.
- You will find that it is one of the few materials that does not scratch easily. So even if you leave sharp knives on your travertine countertop, you need not worry that it will damage the surface.
Thus, travertine is one of the few materials ideally suited for a kitchen countertop, designed to withstand heavy usage. You expect a kitchen countertop to be used regularly and must also withstand rough usage.
In other words, the material must be durable and not easily damaged. At the same time, it must enhance the look of your kitchen and give it a luxurious appeal. Travertine is one of the few countertop materials with all these features, making it a perfect choice for your kitchen.
Travertine Countertop sales near Randolph, NJ
Travertine Countertop Installation
When remodeling or renovating your kitchen, you need to hire experts to guide you regarding the best design and material for your kitchen countertop. They will understand your requirement and help you select the method and customize the countertop for your kitchen. At Randolph Marble & Granite, we prioritize our customers’ requirements and aesthetically design their kitchens. So, if you have any queries about kitchen countertops or fabrications, all you need to do is call us.